The session began with Katie Shannon in her bar, taking care of basic duties. The tv was on in the background. The top story was about the disappearance of a Cary woman, Megan Ruiz, from the Greenway trail near the Raleigh art museum. However, more than that, she sensed the presence of the God-Machine in the report.
Coincidentally, between commercials, she saw a commercial for a new drug by the Dormire Group. An anti-depression medicine called Pax. The commercial featured an outcast rejoining the herd of humanity. Its tagline was “Because we’re all the same, and we’re all in it together.” She recognized the God-Machine in the commercial as well, and that the name means sleep.
Meanwhile, Mike Birch has contracted both Bobby Abbott and Darius Greenley to do a job for him. Bobby works for Dormire and wants them to build a fountain tunnel for him. He wants them to build it based on the Portals artwork near the art museum. In fact, right near where Ms. Ruiz went missing. While the two were there, they sensed infrastructure under the rings. Nearby, using a metal detector, they discovered that something was buried. Of even more importance though, was the signs of blood, drag marks leading to the rings, and a huge paw print that they took a cast of.
Around this time, Grey Dempsey and his assistant went out with some state politicians who wanted to be seen supporting the police, especially in the light of the disappearance. Reading the situation, he saw the ambition in Sergeant Mike Bryant. Capitalizing on this, he forged a connection between his politician, and the sergeant.
After several personal things happened the group headed to the Portals to uncover the infrastructure. Silver spikes were driven into the ground around the area forming a pentagram to gather up the aether. The infrastructure itself were two boxes. When the players uncovered them, they opened a portal to another snowy world where they could hear a woman screaming. Meanwhile, the aether spilling out of the boxes were being sucked up into the underground pentagram, creating an illusion that everything was normal within their bounded area. The players decided to go into the portals, where they heard the sounds of movement on the other side.
- Grey Dempsey is being investigated
- Maggie is being investigated
- Bobby Abbot’s daughter has an odd flush around her shoulder blades that look like the silhouette of a man.
- Kelly is trying to get into Blithe Spirit. She’s getting involved with her old crowd.
- Anika Wolter has been contracted by the ghoul, Colin, to arrange an accident for the local indy artist Charles Meckle.
- The Dormire Group’s commercial has supernatural components, and many of the people involved work for it. They’re having a company event in two weeks.
- Someone was following the group to the Portals.
- There’s a cat that can dodge bullets.
- Grey Dempsey: 10 regular beats, 1 cover beat
- Anika Kolter: 5 regular beats, 2 cover beats
- Bobby Abbot: 5 regular beats, 3 cover beats
- Katie Shannon: 5 regular beats, 2 cover beats
- Darius Greenley: 5 regular beats, 2 cover beats
- Grey Dempsey: Doesn’t already know his next key, uses Dexterity
- Anika Kolter: Doesn’t already know her next key
- Bobby Abbot: Doesn’t already know his next key
- Katie Shannon: Doesn’t already know her next key
- Darius Greenley: Doesn’t already know his next key, uses Manipulation